ADSM-L

Re: NT/Alpha

1997-02-06 12:54:31
Subject: Re: NT/Alpha
From: Deba Patnaik <VMRMAINT AT IBRDVM1.WORLDBANK DOT ORG>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 1997 12:54:31 EST
On Thu, 06 Feb 1997 10:34:28 -0500 Ron Heflin said:
>Does anyone know if ADSM is supported as a client on an DEC Alpha
>system running NT?  If so what do I need to do to obtain the client
>code for this NT/Alpha?
>
>  TIA
>
>  Ron Heflin
>  IBM Global Services
>  (847)562-7009

I have not seen any client support from IBM for Alpha NT. Many of the
subscribers have mentioned FX!32 as a solution. FX!32 is a Digital
product which intercepts and interprets Intel binary to run over Alpha.
FX!32 is not a solution for mission critical application running on Alpha NT.
It works but not everything. I am not sure what else do not work. To find
out during the time of restore, that somethings can not be restored beause
of the difference in HAL will be disastrous. I do not think this is
 an acceptable solution for production systems. Two other smaller vendors
(Legato and Seagate) support Alpha NT. CommVault will be supporting in
third quarter. I am desperately in a need of solution for Alpha NT and I hate
to go for another backup solution. I have been using ADSM from the WDSF and
I like the product. But ADSM developers, please make a note of it, your
decisions on not to support certain features or certain clients makes us
go for other solutions at a cost. If those three vendors can support
Alpha NT, Adstar can (it just needs a recompilation) and you have access
Alpha platform, since you are already supporting DEC Unix and Ultrix.

Deba Patnaik