ADSM-L

Re: Collocation Levels

1997-02-07 14:56:35
Subject: Re: Collocation Levels
From: Bob Booth - CCSO <booth AT CHIANTI.CSO.UIUC DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 1997 13:56:35 -0600
I use 15GB DLT tapes for my tape pool, I was assuming that ADSM was
writing as much
data for a node on them as possible.  I have always used collocation for
this pool.

The person that complained may be overstating the 'lots of mounts', so I
just wanted
to verify.  He has a small machine, and I would suspect that it would
not put his
data all over.

I have been converting my old 8MM tape (no collocated pool) to the new
DLT library
with 'MOVE DATA 8MMXXX STG=BACKUPPOOL'  assuming that the natural
migration process
would collocate his files into the new DLT collocated pool.  Am I
thinking about this
wrong?  Tape to tape processes are very slow, and this seems to be
painfully  true
when you are dealing with nocollcated -> collocated.

I was just hoping there was some majic command that I could issue to
show me where
a nodes files were (on what volumes).

Since reclaims are broken, I have been manually moving my 'FULL' DLT's
back into
my disk BACKUPPOOL, and letting the migrations deal with the
collocations.

I have 65 tapes in the DLTPOOL now, so 5 mounts would not bother me, 10
might concern
me.  I don't allow SCRATCH volumes.