ADSM-L

Re: size of stub files changed after restoring an entire fil

1997-02-05 11:12:57
Subject: Re: size of stub files changed after restoring an entire fil
From: Matt Anglin <anglin AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 1997 11:12:57 -0500
Classification:
Prologue: From the desk of  Matt Anglin, ADSM Development
Epilogue:

Yes, this is normal.  When a file is migrated, we leave behind the "stub".  The
stub contains information we need to recall the file, plus some amount of user
data.  The amount of data we use is 511 bytes, and the amount of data we leave
in the file is the stub size minus the 511 bytes.  When you do a
dsmmigundelete, we simply put back enough data to recreate the stubs, with 0
bytes of user data (since you don't want us going out to tapes to recover the
rest of the stub).
When the file gets recalled, then migrated again, we once again have user data
that we can leave in the stub, so the stub size goes back to its original value.

Matt Anglin
ADSM Development

        owner-adsm-l @ VM.MARIST.EDU
        02-05-97 08:54 AM