ADSM-L

Re: Using HSM to manage space on DFS file systems

1997-01-31 11:34:50
Subject: Re: Using HSM to manage space on DFS file systems
From: Matt Anglin <anglin AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 11:34:50 -0500
Classification:
Prologue: From the desk of  Matt Anglin, ADSM Development
Epilogue:

>> Hi,
>>  Is anyone using HSM to manage space on DFS file systems on AIX?
>> If so, could you please send details.
>> Thanks,
>> Jim

We've never formally tested it, so we can't say that we formally support it.

Having said that, let me also say that we did make some changes to both DFS and
HSM to allow HSM filesystems to be exported through DFS.  Basically, you need
to make sure you mount the file systems with HSM before you export them.  This
is true for NFS exports, too, by the way.  One way to guarantee this is to make
sure that adsmsmext in /etc/inittab comes immediately after the tcpip entry.
In fact, we changed the installation of ADSM on AIX 4.1 to do this.  After
adsmsmext, you can have nfs and dfs.  This works for JFS file systems only, of
course.  We don't support HSM on anything other than JFS in AIX.  You can't
have HSM manage an LFS filesystem.  So, you trade-off file-level ACLs for space
management.

Matt Anglin
ADSM Development