ADSM-L

Re: Data integrity errors on restore

1997-01-31 10:03:29
Subject: Re: Data integrity errors on restore
From: "Dwight E. Cook" <decook AT AMOCO DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 09:03:29 -0600
     Not having seen this myself I'm just offering ideas...

     What platform is your client?
     Could it be that something like the file is being restored but bindery
     information or directory information isn't available anymore?

     I've had my worst problems with the GUI
     fewer problems with cmdln -pick
     even fewer problems w/ cmdln using wild cards
     never had a problem with "restore some.specific.file"
     Often queries haven't shown the files to exist within ADSM and I'd see
     different lists based on if I did a GUI query, a cmdln query, or a
     -pick list but as mentioned if a file's name is known and deleted
     where its last copy hasn't expired I've never had a problem with
     restore specific.blah

Author:  ADSM-L (ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU) at unix,mime
Date:    1/31/97 7:48 AM

Michel Gaillard wrote:

> Hello Paul,
>
> We had a similar problem last monday when doing "multiple restores" like
> dsm restore -FROMDATE=... -TODATE=.... -replace /path/* -inactive
>
> The message on the client was File unavailable on server.
> In the Activity log of the client we had :
>
> 28-01-1997 16:27:07      ANR5321I End of volume reached for 013102 on
> device 0482.
> 28-01-1997 16:27:07      ANR9999D ASRTRV(471): End reached prematurely
> on volume
>                           013102.
> 28-01-1997 16:27:07      ANR9999D SMNODE(7064): Integrity error detected
> for
>                           bitfile 68561.
> 28-01-1997 16:27:07      ANR0540W Retrieve or restore failed for session
> 93 for
>                           node schmuck (AIX) - data integrity error
> detected.
>
> In fact we were able to restore the file thru the dsm GUI by selecting
> this specific file ...
>
> I've open a problem to IBM.
>
> We are running client V2R1Level 0.6 and Server V2R1Level 0.9 on VM
>
> So the good thing is that the file is not lost, the bad one is that
> "multiple restores"
> is not working !!
>
> Cheers, michel
>
> --
> Michel Gaillard
> DSI/DPI
> Alcatel Telecom
> Velizy France
> E-Mail: Michel.Gaillard AT vz.cit.alcatel DOT fr
> Voice : (33) (0) 1 30 77 32 56

Michel,

Thanks for the note. I just tried  restoring from the GUI but this did
not work.  I have a PMR open with IBM but their initial comments were

 - use the pick option
 - be more selective on the restore!!
 - update the client code.

The first two comments are not a lot of help since I have identified
the file causing the problems. The last one well who knows.

Regards,
Paul.