ADSM-L

ADSM Archive w/ Compression

1997-01-28 15:36:23
Subject: ADSM Archive w/ Compression
From: Francisco Franco <francisco.franco AT HYDRO.ON DOT CA>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1997 15:36:23 -0500
Hi Folks,

I am running ADSTART Version 2, Release 1, Level 0.6 client on AIX 3.2.5
and I have noticed that when I perform an archive, on files that have
been compressed using the bundled UNIX program compress (*.Z) that I
get the following message:

Archiving-->           226,563
/home/software/accounting/data/burns/pacct.0709.Z
 . Compressed Data Grew
<...>
Retry # 1  Archiving-->           226,563
/home/software/accounting/data/burns/p
acct.0709.Z . Sent
Retry # 2  Archiving-->           226,563
/home/software/accounting/data/burns/p
acct.0709.Z . Sent

Now, when I look at the file, using ls -l, this is what I get.

APU@fcfranco:/u/software/accounting/data/burns:716$ls -l pacct.0709.Z
-rw-r--r--   1 root     220       226563 Jul 09 1996  pacct.0709.Z
Does ADSTAR use an algorithm similar to the UNIX compress and does
Does ADSTAR use an algorithm similar to the UNIX compress and does
it contain the same feature of the original compress; that if one
compressed an already compressed file, the file actually grew in
size?  Or did I run into some sort of feature of ADSTAR?

Just wondering,

TIA

Francisco

--
Francisco Franco                e-mail: francisco.franco AT hydro.on DOT ca
Francisco Franco                e-mail: francisco.franco AT hydro.on DOT ca