ADSM-L

Re: Offsite DR Cartridges

1997-01-27 12:22:00
Subject: Re: Offsite DR Cartridges
From: Bill Colwell <bcolwell AT CCLINK.DRAPER DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 12:22:00 -0500
Collocation and copy storagepool offsiting have built-in contradictions.  If you
have a good offsite policy, i.e. daily, collocation can be turned on, but it
won't have any effect, since the tape that the server wants to write to will be
marked offsite and physically gone, so a new volume must be chosen anyway.

Assume 100 clients doing daily incremental, and daily offsiting.  Also assume
that the new data files 10% of a cartridge.  After 100 days you will have 10,000
tapes offsite if you are collocating (and using a bottomless scratch pool).  If
you aren't collocating you will need just 10 tapes a day, and have just 1,000
offsite after 100 days.  A restore in each case would need 100 tape mounts; the
collocated restore would be a tiny bit faster because the data would always be
at the start of the tape.  But how much offsite storage can you pay for?

If you could relax the offsiting to weekly, collocation would make sense. After
100 days (14 weeks) you would have 1,400 tapes offsite and each restore would
need 14 tape mounts.  But of course, a weekly offsiting schedule may not be
acceptable to your users.

I can see a new requirement here.  ADSM needs a reclaim by node and time
function.  One could use it like this.  Use non collocating copy storage pools.
On a regular cycle, i.e.quarterly, reclaim by node all the copypool files
written in the last quarter.  The result is that the number of tapes needed for
a DR restore would be a sawtooth function -- from 1 to 50, then dropping down to
5, then building up to 55, then dropping down to 10, etc. (Note - this is as far
as I am going with the requirement process).

I hope this gives you some ideas.  I suspect from your question that you are
already aware of the contradictions.

Bill Colwell
The Charles Stark Draper Laboratory
Cambridge Ma.