ADSM-L

Configurable staging behavior?

1997-01-27 11:08:45
Subject: Configurable staging behavior?
From: Bill Nickless <nickless AT MCS.ANL DOT GOV>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 10:08:45 -0600
I moved to ADSM after working with early versions of NSL Unitree.  I
apparently misunderstood the meaning, under ADSM, of the 'Next Storage Pool'
option on a storage pool to include staging (from the next storage pool) as
well as migration (going to the next storage pool.)

Imagine a configuration where one has the clients access a disk storage pool
which points to a tape storage pool for migration.  As I now understand it,
one could configure the disk storage pool to buffer tape writes, but once
the data goes to tape I don't see how you can configure ADSM to store
recently-recalled data to a disk buffer in case it will be accessed again.

This has dramatic implications on system design; in order to buffer recent
tape reads (taking advantage of temporal clustering of read access) one must
use something like the HSM client.

Is my current understanding correct, or have I missed something?

How does one submit formal requests for enhancements to the ADSM product?

Thanks,
--
Bill Nickless              nickless AT mcs.anl DOT gov               +1 630 252
7390
Bill Nickless              nickless AT mcs.anl DOT gov               +1 630 252
7390
PGP 2.6.2 Key fingerprint =  0E 0F 16 80 C5 B1 69 52  E1 44 1A A5 0E 1B 74 F7
                 http://www.mcs.anl.gov/people/nickless