ADSM-L

How to really clean up backups with ADSM 2.0

1997-01-26 03:49:11
Subject: How to really clean up backups with ADSM 2.0
From: Vandenbalck Christian <christian.vandenbalck AT PING DOT BE>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 1997 09:49:11 +0100
Hello,

let me first introduce myself to the list. My name is
Christian Vanden Balck and I am an system engineer at
Dolmen(Belgium). My main task is tuning the ADSM-platforms.

I have the following problem. One of my departments has a few
Gb of backups and from each file they had 5 backups (1 active,
4 inactive). I updated the copygroup (VERE=3 from now on),
activated the policy set and run an expiry inventory.

But when I consult the client and ask to view all files (active &
inactive) I see that there are still 5 backups. The only way I see
to remove the 2 inactive backups is to run a full backup from my
filespace (after this there are left 3 backups, what is OK). So from
what I understand is the 2 backups are removed only when you are
really backing up the file.

But with over 500 Gb of HD-space on all my clients, I can't afford
to to a full backup off all these clients.
Note that with an incremental backup, ADSM wont remove these 2 backups.

Do you see an answer to this problem ?

Thanks a lot,

*   Christian.vandenbalck AT ping DOT be           *
*   system engineer datam                   *
*   Dolmen CA - Halle / Belgium             *
*   Homepage : http://www.ping.be/~ping3691 *