ADSM-L

Old problem, new complaints.....

1997-01-24 11:47:32
Subject: Old problem, new complaints.....
From: LAbbinante <LAbbinante AT UAL DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 1997 10:47:32 -0600
I know this has been an old standing question/problem with ADSM
restores.  However,  we recently had a restore of a 60% full 4GB
filesystem that had 366,000 files in it, and the issue, even though it
was KNOWN to be a limitation, has come up again.   The file system in
question was corrupted, and HP, knowing that ADSM was our
backup/recovery tool, said to reinitialize the filesystem and restore
from scratch.  After the restore kicked off( which ran at about 28,000
files/hr.  366,000/28,000=13+hrs), it was brought to my attention that
files were being missed.  Not files, I found out, but
directories,....empty directories.   It was decided about three hours
into the restore to cancel it and recover a fresh unloaded
(directories/no data) filesystem from other servers.  Needless to say,
ADSM has been put on the spot for not only for its performance (which
is due to it's 10mbit connection to MVS), but for the existing problem
of not restoring empty directories.   Does anyone have an update or
workaround, on this old, seemingly persistent problem. :-(
Thanks,,,Larry