ADSM-L

Moving storage volumes across libraries

2015-10-04 18:10:54
Subject: Moving storage volumes across libraries
From: INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
To: Jerry Lawson at ASUPO
Date: 1/22/97 6:07PM
In MVS - we do exactly what you propose - tapes are migrated out of our STK
silos when they haven't been accessed in  a certain number of days.  We have
done this two different ways - at first we had the unit parm on the devclass
set to use a device type that would allow the tape to be mounted on a manual
drive.  This worked, but caused allocation problems if not enough manual
drives were available.  We then changed to a unit type that required tape
mounts back in the silo.  If a tape has been moved out of the library, when a
mount for it is issued, and the silo routines issue a WTOR to the operator,
telling him which tape is needed back in the silo.  The operator puts the tape
in the access port, and replies to the WTOR, and we're off and running.  In ou
r shop, this works better.

Jerry Lawson
jlawson AT itthartford DOT com