ADSM-L

Re: Password Visibility - did I miss something?

1997-01-22 21:51:09
Subject: Re: Password Visibility - did I miss something?
From: Alain Nissen <nissen AT SEGI.ULG.AC DOT BE>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 1997 03:51:09 +0100
im Dobrowolsky wrote:

> So when I got adsm installed on my AIX box I checked the ps listing and
> saw that dsmc had -password= but no password visible.  Therefore I
> assumed that the obvious security problem of passwords on the command
> line was taken care of.

ps augxwww (on AIX) will give you the whole command line, including the
password.

If you don't see the password when ou type ps, this is because the
default behaviour of ps is the SystemV one, which limits the number of
characters shown in the command line.  ps augxwww will act as a BSD ps,
and will show you the whole commande line.

From a security point of view, you should never use the -password
option. You should use a "generated" password instead.  See the
documentation about this point.

Alain