ADSM-L

Re: AIX4.2 / HSM code on internet server not found

1997-01-22 14:25:54
Subject: Re: AIX4.2 / HSM code on internet server not found
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 14:25:54 -0500
> HSM is not yet supported on AIX 4.2;  That's why it's missing.
>
>Barry Fruchtman
>ADSM Development

Barry - Could you initiate some measures to make this exclusion apparent in
        the ADSM announcement material and Web site?
After seeing your response I went over all the recent announcement material
on the http://www.storage.ibm.com/adsm site relating to AIX, including the
FAQ.  I could find nothing that talks about this exclusion.  Worse, the
material seems to say that there is no exclusion.  Take a look at
http://www.storage.ibm.com/storage/software/adsm/adclaix.htm, the ADSM AIX
client requirements page.  In the column "Operating System" it says
"HSM feature requires AIX 3.2.3, 4.1 or later".  Well, 4.2 is later, and
as you say, HSM is not supported under 4.2.
    Suffice to say that there is more confusion than clarity on this issue.
    I subsequently went looking for standing informational APAR II07777,
which is supposed to summarize ADSM platforms and releases.  Performing a
search from the ADSM home page and then from the AIX Boulder Problem Solving
Database (registered) turned up no hits.  Whither this APAR?
        thanks, Richard Sims, Boston University OIT