ADSM-L

The speed to recover a Novell file system

2015-10-04 18:10:54
Subject: The speed to recover a Novell file system
From: INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
To: Jerry Lawson at ASUPO
Date: 1/22/97 7:21AM
In the words of the EPA - your mileage may vary

From the sample you sent, I really can't tell too much.   You ran for 1 1/2
hours, and were transferring data for approximately 3 1/2 min.  I would
suspect that with 160K entries, you spend a lot of time going through the dire
ctory determining if a file needs to be backed up.  Obviously, on a restore,
this isn't an issue, especially if you say replace=all etc.

There are also many hardware related things that change - the speed of the
Server, for one, and most importantly, the speed of the network and its
protocol.  Can you give us some more info here?

In my shop, for a "typical" (if there is such a thing) server, we tell people
to expect about a GB of data restored per hour, but we also warn people this
has variables.  Our sample was based on a 66Mhz machine, with a 10Mb Ethernet
card.  Compression was approximately in the range that you saw, but of course
this depends on the mix of data seen on the server.  Also, the 1GB number is
the end result on the disk after decompression - NOT what shows in the
statistics from ADSM (which of course is the compressed amount).

Of course, theres also your network, but our tunning guy keeps telling me
that's not the problem...... One thing I would recommend, if you have a
choice, is to use the same protocol on the server that your ADSM server uses.
For example, if you connect to MVS is through an Ethernet connection - use
Ethernet on the NetWare box.  This avoids a protocol translation in a hub or
router someplace.

Jerry Lawson
jlawson AT itthartford DOT com