ADSM-L

Solaris 2.5 client

1997-01-17 13:47:56
Subject: Solaris 2.5 client
From: Mj Lopatin <lopatin AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 1997 10:47:56 PST
Frank, et al,

Let me try to clarify about the Solaris 2.5 client:

We first shipped our Solaris 2.5 client in September 1996 (client PTF 5),
including support for ACLs and HSM.  The client is supported on the
Solaris 2.5 operating system, but not the Solaris 2.5.1 operating system.

Previous to that, the Solaris 2.3/2.4 client TOLERATED the Solaris 2.5
operating system in March 1996 with client PTF 3.  Some customers used that
PTF 3 to backup or archive their Solaris 2.5 machines, even though their
ACLs weren't being backed up because that client just provided toleration.
It was these customers that had a problem with the true Solaris 2.5 client
when it came out in September (PTF 5, IP20880), where they got a full backup
with their first incremental.  Westinghouse opened IC15350 against PTF 5.

Some customers used our PTF 5 Solaris 2.5 client on the 2.5.1 operating system
(even though we don't support it) and ran fine, but some were having problems
and calling them into the support lines.  Since we don't yet support 2.5.1
but hope to soon, we wanted to prevent anyone from running into problems,
so with client PTF 6, we prevent the Solaris 2.5 client from being installed
on the 2.5.1 operating system.

You can get around this by using the pkgtrans command to disable our
preinstall check in PTF IP20999, the Solaris 2.5 client PTF 6.
You do this at your own risk, until we come out with a PTF supporting 2.5.1.

We do recommend everyone move to the PTF 6 Solaris 2.5 client (IP20999),
not PTF 5, because files backed up with the PTF 5 Solaris 2.5 client will all
be backed up again with the PTF 6 or later clients on the first incremental,
due to the fix for IC15350.

I hope this makes things clearer.

MJ Lopatin
ADSM Client Development