ADSM-L

Re: "Please report how you got this" message

1997-01-16 09:57:47
Subject: Re: "Please report how you got this" message
From: Melinda Varian <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 1997 09:57:47 EST
On Mon, 13 Jan 1997 at 16:26:00 EST, I said:

> We've just tried to do a restore on a Windows 95 client after a hard
> disk crash.  The client starts up all right and allows one to browse
> and select files, but as soon as the first file starts being retrieved
> it reports: "internal system error; please report how you got this."

We've finally developed a circumvention for this problem.  We had tried
re-installing Windows 95 and upgrading the ADSM client from level 5 to
level 6.  At IBM's suggestion, we then tried doing a command-line
restore.  We also tried restoring to another machine.  The results were
the same in all cases.

We have hundreds of Windows 95 clients, many of which have done restores
with no problems.  The only thing unusual about this one is that it
started life as a Windows NT system.  ADSM has two disks backed up for
it, one of which (the older one) is marked as NTFS, and the other of
which is marked as FAT.  We were trying to restore files from the FAT
disk.

We just decided to try restoring to an NT system, and it's working!  I
very much doubt that the machine was running NT at the time the backup
was done, but ADSM still wants it to be NT.  We have an incident open.

Melinda Varian,
Princeton University