ADSM-L

Re: NetwareClient low memory

1997-01-15 07:46:00
Subject: Re: NetwareClient low memory
From: "Kuhn, Steve" <AEGISLAN/AEGIS/KUHNS%Aegis AT MCIMAIL DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 1997 07:46:00 EST
I experienced the same thing as Matthias early on.  MANDATORY:  Upgrade the
client to the v2 client, which takes memory from Novell Cache Buffers
instead of Allocated Memory Pool.  This is much more flexible.

If the problem persists, you must add chips to the server.  In the
alternative, unload any unnecessary NLMs, dismount any non-critical volumes,
and generally minimize memory consumption.  You could also do restores which
start further down the volume's tree and run successive restore passes.
 This causes less memory usage on the client because you are restoring fewer
files per restore session.  ADSM sends something like 24 - 30 bytes/file to
the client for each file/directory to be restored.  Once the list is built
at the client and data flow begins, memory usage on the Novell client
becomes static.  Play with it, but I recommend avoiding dropping below 20%
available cache buffers.  Keep the users off the system until the restore is
complete to minimize drain there.

CAUTION:  We discovered via disaster recovery tests that our old servers had
volumes that were too large for the amount of memory supported by the server
and replaced them with newer units.  Best test before you assume they'll
come back.

Steve Kuhn        Network Manager, Aegis Insurance Services, Jersey City, NJ
kuhns%aegis AT mcimail DOT com