ADSM-L

Re: Solaris 2.5.1 is not supported at this time; Sol 2.5 full incremental

1997-01-10 14:41:03
Subject: Re: Solaris 2.5.1 is not supported at this time; Sol 2.5 full incremental
From: David Yarbrough <swpsadm AT SYNERGY DOT NET>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 13:41:03 -0600
Mj Lopatin wrote:

> Melinda, et al,
>
>   The ADSM Solaris 2.5 client is not supported on the Solaris 2.5.1 operating
> system at this time.  Customers that attmpted to run PTF 5 on the Solaris
> 2.5.1
> operating system anyway encountered some problems. Since we do not support it
> yet and have not yet tested it, we now prevent the installation of the
> Solaris 2.5 client on the Solaris 2.5.1 operating systems with PTF 6,
> to prevent any further problems.
>
>   We hope to support the 2.5.1 operating system in the near future.
> Meanwhile, if you want to get around our restriction, at your own risk,
> you can use the 'pkgtrans' command on the Solaris 2.5 package, and change
> the uname check in the preinstall file in the IBMDSMba5 install directory
> to allow 5.5.1 in addition to 5.5.  But please do not call in any problems
> you encounter to IBM service, because you are using this at your own risk
> until we support it.  Thanks.
>
>   Also, if you did Sol 2.5 backups using PTF 5, you will get a full
> incremental
> backup the first time after you install PTF 6.  This is because of a fix for
> APAR IC15350, where customers that used the Solaris 2.3/2.4 client before
> the Solaris 2.5 client came out were getting a full incremental with the
> new client due to the way we designed our ACL support.  Now they won't get a
> full incremental backup if they skip from PTF 3 or 4 to Solaris 2.5 PTF 6, but
> Solaris 2.5 client customers that started their backups with PTF 5 when the
> client came out will have one full incremental after installing PTF 6.
> This is all documented in the Solaris 2.5 PTF 6 README and in APAR IC15350,
> and should not happen again with any future PTFs.  We apologize for the
> inconvenience, but the design is right this time with PTF 6.
>
> MJ Lopatin
> ADSM Client Development

I just checked the README under IBMDSMba5 mod 6 on one of my solaris 2.5
workstations at it seems to be the readme for 2.3 and 2.4.  I then
checked sol25.v2r1m6.IP20999.README on the ftp sight and the same thing.
I actually had noticed this earlier but it had slipped my mind to report
it.

What are the problems being experienced with 2.5.1?  I currently have 2
E6000s that are not quite in production but they are getting close.
Plus another 4 are coming in next week.  The backups are running fine
but I do not want to get bit in trying to do a restore.

Was the problems with 2.5.1 and ADSM broadcast here and I just missed
it?  I remember that when users started experiencing problems with using
the 2.4 version of ADSM on 2.5 boxes it was mentioned but I do not
remember anything about 2.5.1.

David Yarbrough
Chief Integration and Testing Team
USSTRATCOM/J643