ADSM-L

Need help with FILESPACE

1997-01-09 05:46:26
Subject: Need help with FILESPACE
From: Helmut Richter <Helmut.Richter AT LRZ-MUENCHEN DOT DE>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 1997 11:46:26 +0100
We have reproducibly the following situation:

1. A user issues the command
     dsmc archive -subdir=yes "/a/b/c/*"
   and gets the response that a number of files have been
   successfully archived.

2. Immediately afterwards, the same user on the same machine issues
   the command
     dsmc query archive -subdir=yes "/a/b/c/*"
   and gets the response that no files were found.

Our investigation shows that the first command has stored the data in
filespace "/a" but the second command searches the files in filespace
"/a/b". Note that both filespaces have existed prior to both commands
and the set of filespaces did never change during the whole operation.
Prior to this incident, we thought that such problems could only occur
when new filespaces are created.

We are now at a loss when we try to document ADSM to our customers in
a way that they could resolve such cases. We *do not know* how ADSM
works in this respect, and even if we did, we could probably not
describe ADSM's behaviour in a way that would be intelligible for the
customer who just wants to archive and retrieve his data without
bothering about filespaces.

Who can help us?

We are particularly interested in the following questions:

What are the configurations that would lead to the situation described
  above?

What methods are there to repair such a situation without the risk of
  losing data in any of the affected filespaces?

Where is the behaviour of ADSM documented as far as filespaces are
  concerned, and this in sufficient detail to allow us to understand
  the situation we are in?

Thanks in advance for any assistance you are willing to give us.

Best regards,

Helmut Richter

Dr. Helmut Richter                       Leibniz-Rechenzentrum
Tel:   +49-89-289-28785                  Barer Str. 21
Fax:   +49-89-2809460                    D-80333 Muenchen
Email: Helmut.Richter AT lrz-muenchen DOT de    Germany