ADSM-L

Netware Bare Metal restore

2015-10-04 18:10:53
Subject: Netware Bare Metal restore
From: INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
To: Jerry Lawson at ASUPO
Date: 1/8/97 11:58AM
Yes, I did try what you suggested - using ADSM to take a backup of the C:
drive on the Netware server.  I was successful, but eventually deemed it to be
overkill.  my thoughts were along the following lines:

1.  You needed to take down the server to take the backup.  Not something
you'd want to do with a serverif you can avoid it.

2.  You would have to install the ADSM DOS client, and some sort of
communications protocol (such as IBM TCP/IP) to take the backup.  It of course
would have to use the existing hardware already on the machine, most likely.

3.  In it's most pure form, all that "Needs" to be on the C: root is the basic
DOS (like is found on a bootable floppy), the SERVER.EXE, device drivers for
your DASD, and a few other odds and ends.  It neatly fit on 2 floppies.  So I
concluded "Why bother with ADSM", and just went and built the floppies.  The
results of these were used by the folks doing the Bare Metal book.

Editorial Opinion:  I have seen a lot of servers here, and I find a wide
variety of programs stuck on the C: drive.  I am NOT a Netware Guru, but the
stuff that gets stuck there (such as a complete set of all the DOS modules, an
d also a complete copy of the SYS:  volume NLMs, is in essence wasted space.
Some of our servers have 20M for a C: drive, while others have 100K.  They
both run the same level of Netware, so what do they need all the other stuff
for?  My opinion is that it is not serving anyfunctional value.  The important
NLMs etc. are documented in the Redbook; the rest is redundant at best, and
probably backlevel in most situations, since maintenance for a NetWare server
is not applied to the C: drive.

Hope this Helps - feel free to shoot questions at me.

Jerry Lawson
jlawson AT itthartford DOT com