ADSM-L

Re: Incomplete backup of SunOS 4.1.4 client

1997-01-08 13:53:57
Subject: Re: Incomplete backup of SunOS 4.1.4 client
From: Melinda Varian <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 1997 13:53:57 EST
On Wed, 8 Jan 1997 at 13:06:42 EST, I said:

> We have just installed the newest ADSM SunOS client on a 4.1.4 system
> (never backed up before).  The "/" filespace gets backed up, but then
> the backup stops and this message is issued:
>
>     ANS4305E No data on server
>
> The backup was started with "dsmc inc".  The explanation of that
> message indicates that the user is trying to do a restore/retrieve,
> which we were not doing, of course.
>
> We've tried putting all of the other filesystems in an inclexcl file,
> but that didn't change anything.

We reverted to the V2.1.0.5 client for SunOS and the backup is working
correctly (without an inclexcl file).  I'd say V2.1.0.6 is broken.

One possibility is that this is due to our running a rather old level of
the server (V1.1.0.8 -- the last one that doesn't leave hundreds of dead
Mac sessions around -- IBM's idea of a fix was that we should reinstall
ADSM on 800 Macs).

Has anybody run V2.1.0.6 successfully on SunOS 4.1.4?

Melinda Varian,
Princeton University