ADSM-L

Solaris 2.5.1 is not supported at this time; Sol 2.5 full incremental

1997-01-07 15:00:05
Subject: Solaris 2.5.1 is not supported at this time; Sol 2.5 full incremental
From: Mj Lopatin <lopatin AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 1997 12:00:05 PST
Melinda, et al,

  The ADSM Solaris 2.5 client is not supported on the Solaris 2.5.1 operating
system at this time.  Customers that attmpted to run PTF 5 on the Solaris 2.5.1
operating system anyway encountered some problems. Since we do not support it
yet and have not yet tested it, we now prevent the installation of the
Solaris 2.5 client on the Solaris 2.5.1 operating systems with PTF 6,
to prevent any further problems.

  We hope to support the 2.5.1 operating system in the near future.
Meanwhile, if you want to get around our restriction, at your own risk,
you can use the 'pkgtrans' command on the Solaris 2.5 package, and change
the uname check in the preinstall file in the IBMDSMba5 install directory
to allow 5.5.1 in addition to 5.5.  But please do not call in any problems
you encounter to IBM service, because you are using this at your own risk
until we support it.  Thanks.

  Also, if you did Sol 2.5 backups using PTF 5, you will get a full incremental
backup the first time after you install PTF 6.  This is because of a fix for
APAR IC15350, where customers that used the Solaris 2.3/2.4 client before
the Solaris 2.5 client came out were getting a full incremental with the
new client due to the way we designed our ACL support.  Now they won't get a
full incremental backup if they skip from PTF 3 or 4 to Solaris 2.5 PTF 6, but
Solaris 2.5 client customers that started their backups with PTF 5 when the
client came out will have one full incremental after installing PTF 6.
This is all documented in the Solaris 2.5 PTF 6 README and in APAR IC15350,
and should not happen again with any future PTFs.  We apologize for the
inconvenience, but the design is right this time with PTF 6.

MJ Lopatin
ADSM Client Development