ADSM-L

Re: ADSM Tape Reclamation

1997-01-07 11:00:16
Subject: Re: ADSM Tape Reclamation
From: LEE FOSBRINK <lfosbrink AT MERCY.PMHS DOT ORG>
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 1997 11:00:16 EST
     We are running an MVS ADSM server (2.1.7.7) and are testing
     reclamation of a tape storage pool by setting reclaim=60 (it is
     normally set at 100).

     We had assumed that reclamation would utilize an even number of tape
     drives up to the maximum number of drives specified in the devclass
     mountlimit parameter (set to 8).  However, we see only 2 mounts
     resulting from just a single reclamation process.

          Is this to be expected?

          Your 2 mounts are 1 input tape (the one that needs
          reclaimed) and 1 output tape (the new version).

     Maybe that was only tape in your tapepool that needs reclaimed.. You can
     see this by "QUERY VOLUME XXXXX(TAPE NUMBER) F=D" and look for Pct.
     Reclaimable Space.. Here is a volume listing..

                        Volume Name: M00005
                  Storage Pool Name: TAPEPOOL
                  Device Class Name: CART9
            Estimated Capacity (MB): 830.2
                              %Util: 100.0
                      Volume Status: Full
                             Access: Read/Write
             Pct. Reclaimable Space: 0.0           <------------- Look here
                    Scratch Volume?: Yes
                    In Error State?: No
           Number of Writable Sides: 1
            Number of Times Mounted: 5
                  Write Pass Number: 1
          Approx. Date Last Written: 12/16/1996 11:23:42
             Approx. Date Last Read: 12/13/1996 08:44:42
                Date Became Pending:
             Number of Write Errors: 0
              Number of Read Errors: 0
                    Volume Location:
     Last Update by (administrator):
              Last Update Date/Time: 12/13/1996 08:44:39

     Hope this helps..

     Lee Fosbrink
     Pittsburgh Mercy Health System