ADSM-L

NT client problems

1997-01-06 10:47:35
Subject: NT client problems
From: "Pete Tanenhaus, ADSM Client Development" <pt AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 1997 10:47:35 EST
To:           Multiple recipients of list ADSM-L <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>

Answer to Questions:

1.
<<enever it's starts the first message in the DSMERROR.LOG is as follows
<<
<<
<< 11/25/1996 15:03:37  FioGetOneDirEntry(): *** Access to NTFS file
<< security information denied, file/dir skipped ***
<<
<<Backup continues, and there are no failures in the DSMSCHED.LOG and
<<backup finishes with no errors...
<<
<<But still the first message gives me a doubt about succesfull backup
<<operation ?

It means that the file the error is being reported for is excluded.

The client was changed (PTF 5 I think) to stop logging this error
while obtaining the list of files because there is no way of knowing
at this point if the file will be excluded later.

2.

<<I backup a directory structure with NTFS security applied through the I
<<and Incremental Backup. The backup went fine. I then delete the directy
<<
<<
<<structure on the HD, en start a restore. The restore looks ok but I ha
<<no NTFS security anymore.....
<<If I choose a different location it workes ok and NTFS security is
<<estored  as well. I even booted the system after the backup and starte
<<a restore, same failure.
<<Is this a bug ?

The way restore is currently designed file permissions are always
restored, but directory permissions are only restored when using the
Restore Subdirectory Branch function in the GUI client or by using the
SUBDIR=Y option in the cmd line client.

3.

<<When restoring a Registry, and I enable the option "Activate Key after
<<Restore"
<<he restore to the ADSM.SYS structure goes fine. It starts with
<< 'Restor
<<function invoked' en ends with 'Restore procesing finished' it then
<<starts the 'Registry Restore Function Invoked" and I get the following
<<error :
<<
<<Replace Registry Key: Rootkey 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE', Subkey 'SOFTWARE'
<<ANS4436E An Error Occurred replacing the Key.
<<ANS4431E Registry Restore Function Failed.

This means that error occurred placing the restored registry online,
which could be caused for a number different reasons.

After you have restored and activated a key, the system must be rebooted
for the changes to take effect, and any subsequent attempts to activate
the key before rebooting will cause the above error to occur.

The error could also occur if the account performing the restore doesn't
have the required authority/privilege to replace the key.

If you run a trace with the NTREGISTRY trace flag and send me the result
I should be able to tell exactly why the error is occurring.

<<I don't want to install an another copy of NT on te same machine to be
<<able to completely restore NT without open dll's files etc.
<< guessed the option 'Activate Key after Restore' would do the trick fo
<<e, apparently not. Should I copy the ADSM.SYS files manually ? but the
<<
<<
<<again how do I get the system started so I get a prompt when the syste
<<
<<
<<art failes if I haven't got a bootable second NT availeble ? Should I
<<
<<
<<put the ADSM.SYS all together in the SYSTEM32-CONFIG structure ? If so

There is a one to one correspondence between what the files in ADSM.SYS
and what is in the NT System32 Config directory.

If your system partition is FAT you could boot DOS from a diskette and
copy these files directly into the System32 directory.

If the system partition is NTFS you must either boot another copy of NT
, use the ADSM registry commands, or possibly use the NT resource kit
REGREST command with the files in ADSM.SYS.

<<4. My fourth problem concerns EXCLUDING files (are you still reading ?
<<
<<This is my EXLUDE list :
<<
<< Exclude "*:-Microsoft UAM Volume-*"
<< Exclude "*:-Microsoft UAM Volume-*.*"
<< Exclude "*:-Microsoft UAM Volume-...-*"
<< Exclude "*:-Microsoft UAM Volume-...-*.*"
<< Exclude "*:-...-EA DATA. SF"
<< Exclude *:-...-*.swp
<< Exclude *:-...-*.obj
<< Exclude *:-...-*.csm
<< Exclude *:-...-*.dsk
<< Exclude *:-...-*.bak
<< Exclude *:-...-output.log
<< EXclude *:-...-win386.swp
<< Exclude *:-...-386spart.par
<< Exclude *:-...-pagefile.sys
<< Exclude *:-...-*.par
<< Exclude *:-...-SYSTEM32-CONFIG-*.*
<< Exclude *:-...-SYSTEM32-CONFIG-...-*
<< Exclude *:-IBMBIO.COM
<< Exclude *:-IBMDOS.COM
<<
<< Exclude *:-...-Machome-...-*
<< Exclude "*:-...-Temporary Internet Files-...-*"
<< Exclude *:-RECYCLER-...-*

<< The problem is the excludes of the last 3 statements (Machome,
<< Temporary.. and Recycler)
<< On a NT 4.0 Workstation this workes fine, but on a NT4.0 server not.
<< There should be no difference I guess.
<< The exclude of the Machome structure workes fine, but not the next 2
<< they are backupped anyway!!
<< Any suggestions ? I treid different ways the exclude them. No succes.

The ADSM code for include/exclude certainly works the same on both
server and workstation, so I have to assume the the files are named
slightly differently. Also note the statement for Recycler assumes
dhat the directory is in the root.

<< Then there is a file backup problem which a haven't figured out  how
<< exclude. When a MAC user uses the NT server I see sometimes files wit
<< the name 'ICON? ' which ADSM has problem with. I cannot exclude them
<< How come ???
<<When I look at the file through the Explorer the name is something lik
<<
<<
<< "ICON| ".
<<
<<SEE BELOW:
<<
<<DSMERROR.LOG
<<
<<
<<12/08/1996 23:02:52  FioGetOneDirEntry(): *** Access to NTFS file
<<security information denied, file/dir skipped ***
<<2/08/1996 23:02:52  FioGetOneDirEntry(): *** Skipping Invalid filename

The problem is that this file is a Macintosh file created on a Services
for Macintosh Volume.

Mac file/folder names contain characters which have no mapping in the
NT NTFS/FAT namespace so the Services for Macintosh code remaps them
to a private application specific area in Unicode.

These files may only be accessed by Unicode enabled applications
(ADSM currently isn't), and even Unicode enabled applications cannot
display them properly since there is no mapping to in the file system
namespace.

Since ADSM isn't Unicode enabled these files must be filtered out while
obtaining the list of files from the file system.

Support for Services for Macintosh should be available in version 3.

For now you should exclude any SFM directories.

<< TIA,
<< Guido Rovers
<< System Administrator
<< Open university Holland.