ADSM-L

Re: new adsm client for dfs backups

1997-01-03 11:21:00
Subject: Re: new adsm client for dfs backups
From: Hilton Tina <HiltonT AT IS1.INDY.TCE DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 1997 11:21:00 EST
Sorry.  I should have been more clear.  I'm referring to AIX clients.  DFS
stands for distributed file system.  I'm fairly new to AIX and DFS, so I can
only tell you how we use it in our shop.  It is one file space that is
accessible to all our nodes on our RS6000 SP.  Our current backup method is
to dump the entire filespace (using the ftsdump utility provided by IBM) to
JFS, then backing that file up through ADSM.  That equates to backing up all
files on DFS every day.  It uses disk space to store the dump, and
additional tapes for the ADSM backup of the dump as well as increases the
complexity of backups and restores of an individual file.