ADSM-L

2 Questions

1996-12-20 09:42:39
Subject: 2 Questions
From: Mike Knight <knightm AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 09:42:39 EST
From: Mike Knight, ISSC Aerospace, (314)234-5096, KNIGHTM at ISSCVM
Inet:                                             KNIGHTM AT VNET.IBM DOT COM

On Thu, 19 Dec 1996 16:13:28 -0800, Frank Rehor asked,

>1) When I look at dsmsched.log on my HP Unix systems the time stamp is 3
>hours ahead of the actual time.  The system time (when I issue 'date') is
>the correct time.  It's as if dsmsched.log is registering EDT instead of
>PDT (I'm in California).  Any ideas?

I encountered the same thing on our HP clients.  It appears that when
processes are started out of inittab the time zone (TZ) environment
variable has not been set or at least is not available.  Therefore HP
defaults to EST5EDT.  If the dsmc schedule process is restarted manually,
the TZ is available and we then get CST6CDT.  So the dsmsched.log is
either correct or hour(s) off depending on how the scheduler is started.

You can simulate this by issuing "unset TZ' and "date".  I get CST
when TZ is normally set and EST when it is unset.

Since it is only an hour off for us, I have not pursued a solution.
It does make comparing the client and server logs interesting.

       Mike (Not ADSM support) Knight