ADSM-L

Re: Platform is "Password Check" ??

1996-12-12 21:48:03
Subject: Re: Platform is "Password Check" ??
From: operator <oper AT LLE.ROCHESTER DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 21:48:03 -0500
On Dec 12, 12:45pm, Michel Gaillard wrote:
> Subject: Platform is "Password Check" ??
> Hello,
>
> We are testing WNT 4 backups with ADSM and the client is switching
> from NT 3.51 to NT 4 from times to times when we are testing NT 4.
>
> When we do an adsm admin command query node on this machine, the
> platform
> field is "Password Check" (same with query filespace).
>
> What does it mean really ? Hard to guess that's a WinNT client !!
>
> We are running ADSM V2 R1 L 0.9 on VM/ESA 2.1 and client level is V2R1M5
> for Windows NT.
>
> Cheers, Michel
>
> --
> Michel Gaillard
> DSI/DPI
> Alcatel Telecom
> Velizy France
> E-Mail: Michel.Gaillard AT vz.cit.alcatel DOT fr
> Voice : (33) (0) 1 30 77 32 56
>-- End of excerpt from Michel Gaillard

I too have had the same problem and more.  I did find a fix though.

On Client right after installing adsm client on Win NT 4.0

Edit dsm.opt for local machine
Take double quotes out of command line for ADSM scheduler in menus
Run ADSM scheduler and enter local client's password
Now run ADSM Scheduler Service installation (if you do this without manually
  entering password the scheduler will not start right ever until you do the
  manual entry.

Another fix that I had to do until ADSM is fixed for NT 4.0

  On our user's systems they do not and admin privileges, so when they run
adsm, the backups would fail because registry backups cannot be done by non
admin.

FIX:  edit users profile menu that runs dsm.exe and add

-backupreg=no
to the end of the command line.
to the end of the command line.
This way they can backup up their own data, and the scheduled backups will get
the registry.