ADSM-L

Re: 3590 performance with adsm

1996-11-28 21:26:36
Subject: Re: 3590 performance with adsm
From: Paul Zarnowski <VKM AT CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 1996 21:26:36 EST
On Wed, 27 Nov 1996 09:39:48 PST Greg Tevis said:
>                                   ... We are also looking
>at other enhancements for next year.  We won't be able
>to drive the 3590s near their 9MB/sec rate until we also
>minimize the associated adsm database updates ( we will never
>be able to eliminate them so we won't be able to reach the
>hardware speeds...but we should be able to get much closer).
>All of these enhancements are only for 3590 on aix...since we
>have the most control of the device drivers...
>
>...greg tevis

I am very happy to hear that you are working on minimizing db updates.
I believe this will help not only 3590 performance, but performance of
slower tape drives as well, when moving lots of smaller files (as we do).
We have long believed that db i/o has been our worst bottleneck.

Thanks for sharing these plans with us Greg.

Paul Zarnowski                     Phone:   607/255-4757
Network & Computing Systems        Fax:     607/255-6523
Cornell University                 US Mail: 315 CCC, Ithaca, NY 14853-2601