ADSM-L

Point-in-time restore

1996-11-25 15:46:28
Subject: Point-in-time restore
From: Sam Sheppard <SHS AT SDDPC.SANNET DOT GOV>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 12:46:28 PST
I have posed this question/problem in the past and have never gotten a
response one way or another from IBM.  Since the problem in question
cropped up again this weekend, I will try one more time:

A client had a hard-drive failure on an AIX box.  He replaced the drive,
and then proceeded to start a restore of the lost filespaces.  However,
he forgot the warning about shutting down the scheduler and sometime
after the restore started, the scheduled backup started and marked all
of the files as inactive, since they were no longer on the drive.  Now
he faces the problem of getting hundreds of inactive files restored to
the drive which he doesn't want (using the TODATE option), since they
weren't there when the drive went south.

Is a true point-in-time backup capability anywhere on the horizon??  We
understand that this could have been prevented had the user followed
procedures, but it still would be preferable to not have this exposure.

Any hope that IBM could give in this area would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Sam Sheppard
San Diego Data Processing Corp.
shs AT sddpc.sannet DOT gov