ADSM-L

Re: Database size problems

1996-11-22 19:15:16
Subject: Re: Database size problems
From: Paul Zarnowski <VKM AT CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 19:15:16 EST
On Fri, 22 Nov 1996 16:51:20 -0500 Wayne T. Smith said:
>Yet ADSM gives us few tools to measure or manage this "problem".
>I suggest improvements in 2 areas:
>
>o Make it easy for sites to customize DSM.OPT; recognize "temp"
>  directories fr common applications in the "standard DSM.OPT.
>
>o Give us the database query tools to understand what we are backing up
>  and how policy changes might affect the volume.  I'd love to be able to
>  answer such "What if?" questions as "If I reduced #inactive versions,
>  how is the DB reduced?"  "If I reduced expiration times, how is DB
>  affected?"

We also see this as a problem.  Not only do these cached files
from web browers, et al, contribute to a larger database, but they also
lead to lots of extra, unecessary, reclaim activity.  There is no good way
to identify these files.

I would like to see an option for ADSM to create a list of the files that
it is expiring.  I would generally not have this option enabled, but would
use it once in awhile to get a handle on what types of files/directories
should be added to exclude lists, or perhaps targetted at a different
management class/storage pool.

Paul Zarnowski                     Phone:   607/255-4757
Network & Computing Systems        Fax:     607/255-6523
Cornell University                 US Mail: 315 CCC, Ithaca, NY 14853-2601