ADSM-L

Re: ANR9999D ASRTRV(494)

1996-11-22 04:03:11
Subject: Re: ANR9999D ASRTRV(494)
From: muellerst AT str.daimler-benz DOT com
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 96 09:28:22 +0100
In <ADSM-L%96112019420071 AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>, on 11/20/96
   at 04:35 PM, Dave Cannon <dcannon AT VNET.IBM DOT COM> said:

>>during a Backup of our Archive Storage Pool (Tape), we got the following
>>message:

>>  ANR9999D ASRTRV(494): End reached prematurely on volume ...

>>We have started an AUDIT VOL on that volume with FIX=YES. The AUDIT found
>>one file on the tape and marked it as a damaged file. The message above
>>appeared again at the end of the AUDIT process.

>>Does anybody know, what that message means ??

>This message indicates that the database information for a particular
>file was not consistent with the actual file data on your storage pool
>volume. Using metadata from the database, the backup operation tried to
>read a certain number of bytes from a volume, but encountered
>end-of-volume before that number of bytes had been read.  Audit Volume
>Fix=Yes should eliminate this inconsistency by deleting the problem file
>from the database.

>Dave Cannon
>ADSM Development

Hi Dave,
As we already mentioned, the AUDIT VOL with FIX=YES didn't fix the
problem. After this AUDIT, we have started a MOVE DATA process. This
process terminated at the damaged file marked by the AUDIT FIX=YES.
However, after we have started the AUDIT without FIX=YES (INSPECT ONLY)
the MOVE DATA process ran successfully.

How can we suppress reoccuring the ANR9999D ... message?
Is the damaged file moved correct or deleted?
Why didn't the AUDIT process runs like described in the manual?

Thanks for your help,

Steffen Mueller
Thomas Eberhard
muellerst AT str.daimler-benz DOT com