ADSM-L

DB size calculations

1996-11-20 19:44:40
Subject: DB size calculations
From: Dave Cannon <dcannon AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 1996 16:44:40 PST
>I currently have a DB that is 1.2Gb and 60+% full.  I have been asked by my
>client community to extend the version retained from 3 to 30.  Is there a
>calculation to estimate the size of the DB based on 30 versions and x files
>changing daily.

Every version of a file requires approximately 500-600 bytes of database
space.  Each additional copy of the file (i.e., cached copy or copy
in a copy storage pool), requires an additional 150-200 bytes of database.
Additional database space will be required to allow for partially filled
pages and other overhead.

If you can estimate the total number of versions for all files, these
numbers should allow you to estimate the total database size.

Dave Cannon
ADSM Development