ADSM-L

Re: Tapes "Filling"

1996-11-19 13:51:43
Subject: Re: Tapes "Filling"
From: Leonard Boyle <SNOLEN AT VM.SAS DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 13:51:43 EST
On Mon, 18 Nov 1996 11:30:31 EST Katherine Faella said:
>Hello,
>
>I am running ADSM V1R1 level 15 on a VM/ESA system.  I am finding that
>many of my tapes (in a vmtape controlled scratch pool) are in FILLING
>status.  I do not have collation turned on.  The volumes in question
>have Read/Write access, are not in an error state.  Many have been mounted
>just one time.
>
>Why are these tapes in this status?  And what can I do to correct this?
>Of the 120 in my scratch pool, 20 are in this state, many have been for
>at least a couple of months.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Kathy Faella
>
>Katherine Faella                 Bitnet:   KMF@URIACC
>Sr. Technical Programmer         Internet: KMF AT URIACC.URI DOT EDU
>University of Rhode Island
>Academic Computer Center
>9 Greenhouse Road, Suite 1
>Kingston, RI  02881              Phone:  (401) 874-2501

Hello Katherine

There was a know problem with the adsm server opening too many new volumes.
I believe that it is fixed in the .17 service level. I believe that this
fix will keep you from opening more vols before using the old ones.

One way to fill some of the old ones would be to change your adsm
maxscratch value to the number of tapes in use. Then adsm will mount the
filling tapes for it's current tape needs. It will do this even with
collation turned on.

len

Leonard Boyle, Mainframe support            snolen AT vm.sas DOT com
Leonard Boyle, Mainframe support            snolen AT vm.sas DOT com
SAS Institute Inc.                          ussas4hs@ibmmail
Room E206                                   (919) 677-8000 ext 6241
203 SAS Campus Drive
Cary NC 27513