ADSM-L

Re: DNS and Moving Servers

1996-11-17 03:53:47
Subject: Re: DNS and Moving Servers
From: Paul Hilton <philton2 AT ISMA DOT COM>
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 02:53:47 -0600
Hi Jerry.

We have moved our AIX ADSM Server to a new IP address. We changed the DNS
pointer, as you described, while we were doing the move. We made sure that all
the clients were using the ADSM DNS Name as opposed to a hardcoded IP address
prior to the move.

I have to admit that we never thought about the possiblitiy that a scheduled
client might store an IP address. We assumed that they would use the DNS name
and that the name would be resolved by the DNS server every time they attempted
access.

Anyway, it worked with no problems. There were scheduled sessions active on the
new server within minutes of the time the new server came up.

In this case, as you are well aware, the fact we are on different server
platforms should make no difference. The activities involved here are all on
the client and there is no difference in the client code for different server
platforms.

Hope your move goes well.

Paul Hilton
ISM (Alberta) Ltd.