ADSM-L

migration

1996-11-15 18:12:40
Subject: migration
From: Greg Tevis <gtevis AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 15:12:40 PST
Gustavo....

Do a QUERY STGPOOL on your disk storage pool and make sure MIGPROCESSES is
set to the number of tape drives you have available for migration...but
you might not be able to improve too much using 8mm tapes...the load time
is slow and transfer rates are snailrates (100s of Kbytes/sec)...with
potentially 4.5 GBytes of data migrating you may very well be 8mm
constrained...you may want to consider DLT, 3590 or 3570 technologies.

One other thought...try turning off stg pool caching in your disk
storage pool (if it's not off already)...there are extra adsm database
entries need for each file during migration when you have caching on.

...greg tevis, adsm technical support

        We are using ADSM on AIX platform. We've got a Backuppool on a unit
7133 (8 disks, 4.5Gb), and the Tapepool on a unit 7331-205. At this moment, the
Backuppool is full, and it's running the migration process to the Tapepool, on
8mm tapes. The problem is that this process is too slow... more than 4 hs.....