ADSM-L

Re: Migration of 3380-3390 (VM, ADSM V1)

1996-11-14 16:03:00
Subject: Re: Migration of 3380-3390 (VM, ADSM V1)
From: Bill Colwell <bcolwell AT CCLINK.DRAPER DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 16:03:00 -0500
I have done this with the MVS server, but I am sure the commands are the
same.  You must have some time when the 3390 and 3380 drives are both
connected to the system.

To move the disk storage pool volumes -

allocate, format new bitfiles on the 3390s.
ADSM define the new volumes into the same storage pool as the volumes on
3380.
Update the 3380 bitfiles to be readonly.
Either migrate down to 0, or do move data commands on the 3380 volumes.
When the 3380 volumes are empty, delete them from adsm.  If you have been
caching and migrate to 0, you must do move data commands to flush out the
cached files.  Turn caching off before doing the migrate.

To move the database (do it when the system is quiet) -

Reduce the db by the maximun amount possible as show in 'q db f=d'
Allocate and format on the 3390s, enough space to hold the remaining number
of pages in the db.
ADSM define the volumes -- 'def dbvol ...'
DO NOT DO THE EXTEND DB COMMAND.
Do ADSM delete dbvol commands on the old 3380 dbvolumes.  If you are
mirroring, delete all the 2nd volumes first; that will be fast.  Then
delete the remaining volumes one at a time.  Each delete will start a
process to copy over the db pages.  Wait for each procees to finish, then
do the next delete.

The log is moved in the same manner as the db.

I consider this capability to be one of the nicest features of ADSM.

Bill Colwell
The Charles Stark Draper Laboratory
Cambridge Ma.