ADSM-L

One more Win95/DST question....

1996-11-08 08:49:00
Subject: One more Win95/DST question....
From: Jerry Lawson <jlawson AT ITTHARTFORD DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 1996 08:49:00 -0500
Date:     November 8, 1996            Time:    08:13
From:    Jerry Lawson
    ITT Hartford Insurance Group
    (860) 547-2960    jlawson AT itthartford DOT com
Pete Tanenhaus -
Pete Tanenhaus -

Sorry to keep being dense on this one..... In a recent set of notes you said:

> Unfortunately if your machine time is adjusted for daylight savings time
> (which of course it will be) all of your NT/Win95 FAT drives will be
> fully backed up.

> The dates of the files will be exactly one hour off until daylight
> savings time changes again.

> The date format for FAT files (NT or Win95) is stored differently
> on the server in PTF 5 so the date must be converted to the new
> format and thus the files must be backed up again.

We ran a test this morning, and installed PTF 5 over a Win95 machine with PTF3
on it.  We then ran an incremental backup.  The backup was actually a "normal"
incremental backup - only 85 files backed up of the 2000+ that was on the
machine.  Does this mean that next April, when we go to DST, all of the
clients will once more go through the full backup again?  One reason that I am
confused is that 2 weeks ago, when we changed, my Win95 test machine with
Level 5 already on it, did NOT do a full backup.

Is just the process of running an incremental backup enough to change the
dates stored on the server, and now all is well for my test machine this
morning?

Why I am worrying so much about this is that this caused many problems last
week - utilization on our MVS machine jumped significantly, causing
performance problems for everyone; the pool volumes filled up causing
migrations during the day, the migrations could not keep up with the flood of
data coming into the pools, and so clients were trying to mount tapes, which
exceeded the mount limit, causing the migration processes to be cancelled.
And then there was the approximately 10% growth in data base entries, because
now everyone has two copies of every Win95 file out there.  Of course this is
a temporary condition, but I do have to make it through the 35 day retantion
we have set on inactive copies before they go away.  If this is all going to
occur again next April I want time to prepare for it, since there will be many
more Win95 clients on by then.......

Before I go, one last question - if we go on Daylight Savings time in the
summer, then are we on Daylight Wasting Time now?   Maybe I should move to
Arizona - they don't do DST.  Do they know something we don't?

Jerry Lawson
ITT Hartford Insurance Group
jlawson AT itthartford DOT com

Any idiot can face a crisis.  It's the day to day stuff that really wears you
down.

                        Anton Chekov