ADSM-L

ADSM Backups, Archives and Schedules

1996-11-06 16:35:15
Subject: ADSM Backups, Archives and Schedules
From: Anne Louise Gockel <alg AT PSA.PENCOM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 1996 16:35:15 -0500
I am researching using ADSM for enterprise wide backups of Unix systems
(mostly Suns).  Our site is installing a pilot machine shortly.  The system
administrators here are familiar with standard Unix full and incremental
dumps.  ADSM has backups and archives, but it's not clear how to set up a
schedule to provides the same type of service.  I would appreciate advice on
the following architecture / scheduling questions with ADSM:

-) What ADSM schedules would best simulate a standard Unix model of:
        o) full backups once a week, retained for ## months;
        o) full backups once a week, retained for ## months;
                every file on system backed up
        o) incremental backups every day, retained for ## weeks;
                all files changed since last full backup are backed up
        o) full backup tapes for previous week stored off site for disaster
                recovery

-) Can ADSM simulate multiple levels of incrementals, e.g:
        o) full backups once a month, retained for ## months;
        o) full backups once a month, retained for ## months;
                every file on system backed up
        o) incremental level 2 backups once a week, retained for ## weeks;
                all files changed since last full backup are backed up
        o) incremental level 4 backups every day, retained for ## weeks;
                all files changed since last level 2 backup are backed up

-) What's the best way to handle tapes for off site storage?  Writing backups
to multiple storage pools simultaneously?
to multiple storage pools simultaneously?

-) Is archiving the best way to create regular snapshots of a system that
are stored long term?  e.g. the equivilent of taking a full dump once a
are stored long term?  e.g. the equivilent of taking a full dump once a
month and storing it forever?

-) Is there any white paper that addresses these issues? e.g. a paper that
compares a traditional Unix backup strategy and shows how to implement
compares a traditional Unix backup strategy and shows how to implement
something similar with ADSM.  Please send me a pointer, reference or URL for
the paper.

Thanks for your help!

                                        -Anne

Anne Louise Gockel                      Pencom System Administration Services
Internet: alg AT psa.pencom DOT com            703-860-2222