ADSM-L

Re: ADSM and Oracle Raw Partitions

1996-11-06 11:36:00
Subject: Re: ADSM and Oracle Raw Partitions
From: Hilton Tina <HiltonT AT IS1.INDY.TCE DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 1996 11:36:00 EST
There's a product called SQL Backtrack (sorry - can't remember the name of
the vendor, although BMC markets it in addition to the company who wrote
it).  It will back up Oracle on raw devices to ADSM.  We can't use that
because there's a bug with the release of Oracle we have (7.3.2).  If you're
at a lower level, then that product should work fine for you.

Oracle has the Oracle Enterprise Backup, and IBM has the API written into
the ADSM client so they will work together.  It's not GA yet, but is
available for testing.  We have it installed but we're still trying to find
someone from Oracle who can tell us how to issue the backup command (I
believe it's actually just a 'dd') to point to ADSM instead a tape drive.
 If you decide to go with the Oracle tool and are told what the command
change is, please let me know.

Tina Hilton
Thomson Consumer Electronics
Indianapolis, IN