ADSM-L

UNIX Client Rebuild Procedures

1996-11-01 11:08:26
Subject: UNIX Client Rebuild Procedures
From: Jim Kleberg <Kleberg_James_R/svoa0001 AT SSB DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 1996 11:08:26 -0500
     If a disk crashes, how can ADSM be used to restore the latest backups
     of the operating system files on UNIX platforms?

     After rebuilding from some previously created copy of a minimal file
     system plus ADSM client, how can ADSM be used to restore the latest
     backups of files on the /, /usr, and /var file systems?  Or do people
     just run a full ADSM restore?

     For example, on AIX, the minimal operating system could be restored
     from a mksysb. But we would like to avoid making a mksysb every night,
     just to back up recently modified files.

     How can we avoid restoring (with ADSM) later versions of files to a
     running operating system?

     How platform-dependent would the procedure have to be?  We are most
     interested in ADSM clients on AIX (3 and 4),
     UP-UX (9 and 10), and Sun (Sun4 and Solaris), but we also have a
     couple of other platforms like an old Sequent or two.

     Any suggestions?

     thanks.