ADSM-L

HPUX v10 ASM Client disaster Recovery

1996-11-01 16:43:34
Subject: HPUX v10 ASM Client disaster Recovery
From: Brian Johnson <smbxj01 AT OSMF.BT.CO DOT UK>
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 1996 13:43:34 -0800
Help,

                We attempted an HPUX v 10 client disaster recovery, from
        the original box to a standby machine, all that was put on th
        standby was the operating system.

        We also had a standby ADSM Server to work on at BT's disaster
        recovery site.

        We took our ADSM Database backup tape, restored OK

        We also took all our copy tape pool tapes, once the fallback
        ADSM server had been restored we updated the primary tape pool
        so all volumes in it were destroyed, hence using the copy pool
        only.

        We did a full restore
        Major problems, we found that many subdirectory files had not
        been restored, even though subdir yes had been coded in the
        dsm.opt file

        This seems to happen when you have a level in the directory
        structure where only directories reside, with data underneath
        this level, ADSM seems to restore the directory structure but
        NOT the data below it, i.e.

        /prod

        ls -l      (directories on this level only)
        d - dir1
        d - dir2
        d - dir3
        cd dir1

        /prod/dir1
        ls -l
        * lots of data files here * - not restored

        We re-ran the restore - a majority of the data seems to return
        but this is not the way to do it, it seems that on the second run
        because the directory structure is all ready there, from the
        first run, ADSM does at least attempt to restore some data
        through the different levels.

        Thanks,

        Brian Johnson
        British Telecom