ADSM-L

ADSM & Lotus Notes DBs

2015-10-04 18:12:49
Subject: ADSM & Lotus Notes DBs
From: INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
To: Jerry Lawson at TISDMAIL
Date: 10/31/96 3:52AM
First, welcome to the list.   We are glad to hear that you are considering the
finest distributed backup product available (And I don't work for IBM!)

In regards to your question on Notes, ADSM has an Application Program
Interfeace (API) available to anyone who wants to be able to backup directly
to ADSM.  In the case of Lotus Notes, IBM wrote a client (currently only avail
able on OS/2) that uses the API to backup the databases.   The client
interfaces with Notes, and is able to determine which documents have changed
through information available there, and then uses the API facilities to
backup and manage the documents.  The client is different in that it does not
support restore functions directly - this is done through an "add in" menu
available within Notes.  Therefore, if you want to do a restore of a document,
you indicate it in Notes, select the restore from the pulldown, and the
restore is done.

There are other users of the API as well, including some IBM products, such as
DB2/6000, and some third party vendor products such as SQL Backtrack, which
handles Oracle and Sybase.

Jerry Lawson
jlawson AT itthartford DOT com