ADSM-L

Re: Version 2 server for VM

1996-10-28 15:32:40
Subject: Re: Version 2 server for VM
From: Larry Sanders <MAINT AT MIZZOU1.MISSOURI DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 1996 14:32:40 CST
On Thu, 24 Oct 1996 17:31:19 EDT Leonard Boyle said:
>Please let us know how you make out with the install. We ordered the
>V2 server for VM last month and the V2 server for windows nt this month
>and both are scheduled for shippment the 15th of next month.
>
>So we will have a strong interest in any tidbit about the v2 install.

OK, you asked for it.  Here are my experiences so far.

I now have the V2 server for VM installed and running in test.  It is running
on a VM/ESA 2.1.0 system.

The installation via VMSES/E was straight forward.  I installed in SFS, but
created a 491 minidisk (production) and 4E2 minidisk (test build) as
recommended in the program directory.  It is interesting that the product
number for the V2 server for VM is 5654-A02, but the default userid for
installation is U655119A.

I didn't have a test server, so I first had to create one.  I first created
a new V1 server, and then used EXPORT SERVER and IMPORT SERVER to get my
production server definitions into it.  EXPORT SERVER does not export device
class and storage pool definitions, so I had to recreate them manually.  I
did not export/import any client data.  We use TCP/IP exclusively for ADSM
communication, so I configured the test server to use TCP port 1501, instead
of the default 1500, so it can co-exist on the same system as the production
server.

After I had the V1 test server up and running, I then followed the directions
in the "Quick Start" manual for installing ADSM version 2 over ADSM version 1.
I changed the LINKs in the test server's directory entry to point to the
version 2 code, reviewed and updated the server options file, DSMSERV OPT,
as required, and started the server with the /UPGRADEDB option.  I didn't
bother to dump the server database to tape first, as recommended, since it
was a test server that could easily be recreated, but I will certainly do so
before upgrading my production server.  The version 2 server came up with
no problems.

I have verified basic backup/restore functions from OS/2 and AIX, both still
running version 1 clients.  Everything seems to be working fine, but I
haven't tried any of the new functions yet.  I am currently trying to download
the latest V2 client for AIX so I can try out the HSM functions.

I have noticed one problem.  The V2 server is reporting all times, in the
activity log, and elsewhere, as UTC (GMT) instead of local time.  Is this a
bug, or a new feature?  I really hope it isn't the latter.  I can't find any
option to tell the server what time zone it is in, but it shouldn't need
one.  The version 2 server should honor the local time zone specification in
CP, as the version 1 server does.

Larry Sanders                         Internet:  cclrs AT mizzou1.missouri DOT
edu
Larry Sanders                         Internet:  cclrs AT mizzou1.missouri DOT
edu
University Computing Services         BITNET:    CCLRS@MIZZOU1
University of Missouri - Columbia