ADSM-L

Win 32-bit Problems

1996-10-25 20:22:40
Subject: Win 32-bit Problems
From: Mitch Sako <mitch AT CELLNET DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 1996 17:22:40 -0700
I took the latest fix for 32-bit Win off the ftp server (ip20863, level 0.5)
and tried to upgrade a level 0.3 for a version 2 client.  I've applied it
to both NT and Win95 that were running 0.3.

First, it went from 2 floppies to 5 floppies.  The InstallWizard stuff seems
the be the most likely culprit/reason for this, no problem.

The problem appears to be that it does not overlay/replace the old version
correctly as they have in the past.  The following seems to be happening:

  1.  The dsm.opt file gets overwritten or is in a new place, the old values
      do not seem to be carried forward.  You need to change the server parms
      and any .opt options you may have had in the old version.
  2.  The new icons do not exactly overlay the old ones.  Old versions of some
      of the executables seem to be called when the icon is launched.  This
      appears to be cleaned up with multiple reboots but not always.
  3.  The 0.3 level does not have an uninstall icon and apparently cannot
      be uninstalled cleanly.
  4.  The install wizard does not seem to end cleanly.  You end up being queried
      if you want to read a README and then it simply exits on most occasions
      (it did tell me once that a reboot was necessary).

Anyone else experience similar problems?

Mitch
Mitch Sako                            Phone:     415.508.6761
Mitch Sako                            Phone:     415.508.6761
Cellnet Data Systems                  FAX:       415.508.6700
125 Shoreway Road                     Pager:     408.989.3365
San Carlos, CA 94070                  E-Mail:    mitch AT cellnet DOT com
                                      Personal:  msako AT netcom DOT com