ADSM-L

Re: problems with Webshell

1996-10-23 20:59:29
Subject: Re: problems with Webshell
From: Trevor Foley <Trevor.Foley AT BTAL.COM DOT AU>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 10:59:29 +1000
Stacy Lacy wrote:

> I downloaded it and can't seem to make it work either.  I open the page
> and then it stalls out constantly.
>
> Using Netscape 3.x browser.

I had the same problem but I've found a fix (at least for me). I noticed
that there are a number of files called TMPnn.$$$ in the directory from
where the Webshell is executed. Looking at these files showed the output
from a QUERY FILESPACE command. However, there was a line in the middle
saying 'Press 'Q' to quit, 'C' to continuous scroll, or 'Enter' to
continue.'. It seems as though the Webshell was getting too much output
from the query command and then not being able to handle to 'Press 'Q'
to quit....' prompt. Although this seems strange to me as I have only
one filespace on this node and even a QUERY FILESPACE F=D wouldn't take
up more than the 20 lines that SCROLL Lines is set to.

My DSM.OPT file has SCROLLPrompt set to Yes. I set it to no, and all
works OK now.

I'd also like to add my agreement with some previous statements about
the Webshell. Only being able to restore active versions of files is a
significant limitation (very possibly significant enough that we will be
unable to use it in it's current form). And the username/password
maintanance procedures are pretty crude. Although we are looking at only
having a small number of help desk staff doing restores, at least in the
short term, so that won't be too much of an issue.

Has anyone tried setting up the Webshell to run as a service on
WindowsNT? I'm not an NT person so I haven't tried playing around with
it yet. I assume that you would have to use SRVANY.EXE?

--
Trevor Foley                             Phone: 61-2-9259 3944
Trevor Foley                             Phone: 61-2-9259 3944