ADSM-L

ADSM accounting or user chargeback

1996-10-23 13:37:33
Subject: ADSM accounting or user chargeback
From: "Bohnsack, JA Jim 6030" <BohnsackJA AT GVL.ESYS DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 12:37:33 -0500
We would like to find out what other shops do about charging for the ADSM
service.  Is it just considered to be general overhead?  Is the charge by
client?  Is the charge by the number of files backed up or archived?  By the
number of K, M, or T-bytes?  Do you have a way of determining and charging
for occupancy?

We are about to go into production with ADSM on a VM server and are having a
hard time even trying to size the resources that we will need.  We'll have a
mix of Windows, Windows95, and WindowsNT clients that we will be serving.
 UNIX clients are knocking on the door as is a VAX Alfa cluster.  If we
backed up 1000 Windows clients, what would be a swag for the amount of disk
space and daily 3490 tape mounts to be expected? We know that disk space can
vary, but what is reasonable?  We would probably only be using collocation
for server clients to limit the amount of tape handling, at least at backup
time.   After a years time, how many tapes would We expect to see in our
library that contain ADSM data?

We know that there isn't any one answer, but would appreciate hearing some
sizes.

Thanks in advance

Jim Bohnsack
Raytheon E-Systems