ADSM-L

Re: ADSM-L Digest - 15 Oct 1996 to 16 Oct 1996

1996-10-18 13:08:16
Subject: Re: ADSM-L Digest - 15 Oct 1996 to 16 Oct 1996
From: Chuck Tomlinson 793-0730 <chuckt AT AUSTIN.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 12:08:16 -0500
Automatic digest processor <LISTSERV AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>  writes:
>Date:    Wed, 16 Oct 1996 10:49:18 +0100
>From:    Francis Dequenne <syf AT ECMWF DOT INT>
>Subject: Re: ADSM/AIX messages
>
>We are not using systemview, but may be you will find some usefull stuff from
>this:
>
>Just a reminder: If one calls
>dsmadmc -console -user=... -password=...
>,
>one will receive a copy of all messages that are going to the dsmserv console.
>
>What we do is as follows.
>we have wrapped the call to 'dsmserv quiet' in a procedure that also start
>a "logger" job, a couple of minutes after dsmserv is started.
>This logger capture the dsmadmc -console output, put in front of each line a
>timestamp, and store it in a log file. (We do not like at all the standard
"act
>log", only accessible via dsmadmc, slow, and incompatible with any standard
>browser found on a unix system).
>
>Other applications (e.g. distributed GUI message filters, tail-like
>applications, admin using conventional browsers or grepers) can then go and
>browse the contents of this file. May be you might create a job that tails
such
>a file and send messages to systemview.
>
>On a daily basis, we copy this file to a "resting place", then empty it.
>
>If you are interested, I can send you a copy of the perl scripts that we are
>using to perform some of this stuff.
>
>That works OK for us except that:
>
>1)      We do not catch the messages issued immediately after dsmserv start up
>
>2)      dsmadmc -console has a very bad habit of cutting messages in multiple
>lines, even if working in a batch environment, which makes it difficult to
>capture a "whole" message. (IBMers, is there a way I do not know to overcome
>this?)
>
>3) You are obviously dependant on the logger job to run to catch the dsmserv
>messages. This has not been too much of a problem in our environment,
recently,
>though.
>
>NB: At present, we are forced to write and maintain a large bunch of scripts
>just to perform some basic ADSM monitoring, as the official tools ... leave
>scope for improvement. We would dearly love IBM to provide tools that can be
>used in a real world large size environment.
>
>--
>Regards
>
>+-------------------+----------------------------------+---------------------+
>| Francis Dequenne  | Systems Section                  |      /~~\  /~~\     |
>| ECMWF             | e-mail: fdequenne AT ecmwf DOT int      |     /    \/
>\    |
>| Shinfield Park    | Tel:    (+44 1734) 499361        |   ECMWF             |
>| Reading           | Fax:    (+44 1734) 869450        |   ECMWF             |
>| Berkshire RG2 9AX | Telex:  (+44 1734) 847908        |     \    /\    /    |
> [...]

I am doing somethin very simular but am using a perl script to start the
dsmserv process.  I reads in the console output and as with your script
writes it to a file.  Also is parses the messages that come out and based on
the
type of message (Information, Warning, Error, Critical Error) will either just
log the message, send email of the error/warning, notify Netview/Sysmon 6000,
or actually generate a page directly using GSC.  On some errors it actually
tries to fix the problem.

I have found some of the same problems with using dsmadmc -console as you have.
I addition I have found that sometimes I would loose the tcpip connection and
not know it.  Also to start this you have to have an Admin id and password to
pass to the perl script.

One other up side of monitoring dsmserv console output is being able to see
what the console is doing without having to have a session.  We have had a few
problems were the server will not allow any new sessions.  And all other
sessions are killed.  You might want to look into running this way.

We too have also written a large number of perl script in an attempt to monitor
our ADSM servers.  At present I have 8 large servers to man so automation is
a must.  I would be intrested in knowing more about the tools you use.

Chuck T.
(not ADSM support)