ADSM-L

ADSM WebShell

1996-10-18 01:59:32
Subject: ADSM WebShell
From: NICLAS LINDEBERG <niclas.lindeberg AT SKANDIA DOT SE>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 07:59:32 +0200
--- Received from SK.LINNIA  +46 8 7881797          96-10-18 07.58
  -> IN:ADSM-L(A)VM.MARIST.EDU
  -> IN:ADSM-L(A)VM.MARIST.EDU
  -: - - - - - - - - - - > COMPLEX NAME OF MHS USER
Hej Reidar,

Hdr dr en beskrivning av ADSM WebShell!!

/N
Classification:
Prologue: Mike Dile
IBM SSD
Phone: (408)256-3637
Internal: mikedile@ibmusm50
Internet: mikedile AT us1.ibm DOT com
Epilogue: Regards,
Mike Dile

Posting on behalf of John Havens in response to the
numerous "what is is?" questions on the list regarding
WebShell. Please respond to johnh AT vnet.ibm DOT com for
further information

Regards,

Mike Dile
ADSM Client Development

 October 4, 1996

 The New ADSM WebShell Web-browser Interface Is Now Available

 The WebShell backup/restore Web-browser interface for ADSTAR
 Distributed Storage Manager (ADSM) is now available on our
 anonymous ftp server.

 What is the ADSM Web-Browser Interface?
 ---------------------------------------

 The WebShell Web-browser interface allows administrators and end users
 to take advantage of familiar, easy-to-use Web browsers -- such as
 Netscape Communications Corporation's Navigator and Microsoft's
 Corporation's Internet Explorer -- to conduct storage management
 tasks. The WebShell Web-browser interface, which runs on OS/2 Warp,
 Windows NT, Windows 95, and AIX platforms, can be used to:

     - query backup status of files
     - back up all new and changed files
     - back up selected directories and files
     - and, most importantly, restore selected files and directories.

 WebShell works with all ADSM storage management server platforms.

 A help-desk administrator can also use the WebShell Web-browser
 interface to remotely initiate a backup and restore on behalf
 of an end user.

 +---------+      + --------------+           +---------+
 | Web     |      | WebShell      |           |  ADSM   |
 + Browser | ---> | Backup/Restore|     +---> |  Server |
 |         |      | Interface     |     |     |         |
 +---------+      + --------------+     |     +---------+
                  | ADSM Backup/  |     |
                  | Archive Client|  <--+
                  + --------------+

 'help desk'       ADSM Client                 ADSM Server

 Want to see a LIVE demo?
 ------------------------
 Want to test drive this new interface?  Check out our live
 demo on the ADSM web page:

 http://www.storage.ibm.com/storage/software/adsm/adwsdemo.htm

 How to download the WebShell code
 ---------------------------------

 The WebShell code can be downloaded through the ADSM web page:
 http://www.storage.ibm.com/storage/software/adsm/adwsdemo.htm

 or directly from our anonymous ftp server:
   index.storsys.ibm.com   - located in California, U.S.A.

 or, any of its mirrors:
   ftp.cac.psu.edu         - Pennsylvania, U.S.A.
   ftp.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de - Karlsruhe, Germany
   ftp.wu-wien.ac.at       - Vienna, Austria

 Download the following files from the ftp server of your choice:

 WebShell for OS/2:
 ------------------
     README.FTP.os2.webshell
     os2web.exe

     ftp server               subdirectory
     ---------------------    ---------------------
     index.storsys.ibm.com    /adsm/fixes/v2r1/os2/english
     ftp.cac.psu.edu          /adsm/fixes/v2r1/os2/english
     ftp.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de  /pub/adsm/mirror.ibm/fixes/v2r1/os2/english
     ftp.wu-wien.ac.at        /pub/adsm/fixes/v2r1/os2/english

 WebShell for Windows NT and Windows 95:
 ---------------------------------------
     README.FTP.win.webshell
     winweb.exe

     ftp server               subdirectory
     ---------------------    ---------------------
     index.storsys.ibm.com    /adsm/fixes/v2r1/windows/32-bit
     ftp.cac.psu.edu          /adsm/fixes/v2r1/windows/32-bit

 WebShell for AIX Version 3.2:
 -----------------------------
     aix.webshell.README.ftp
     aix.webshell.tar

     ftp server               subdirectory
     ---------------------    ---------------------
     index.storsys.ibm.com    /adsm/fixes/v2r1/aix/3.2
     ftp.cac.psu.edu          /adsm/fixes/v2r1/aix/3.2
     ftp.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de  /pub/adsm/mirror.ibm/fixes/v2r1/aix/3.2

 WebShell for AIX Version 4.1:
     aix.webshell.README.ftp
     aix.webshell.tar

     ftp server               subdirectory
     index.storsys.ibm.com    /adsm/fixes/v2r1/aix/4.1
     ftp.cac.psu.edu          /adsm/fixes/v2r1/aix/4.1

 The WebShell code will also be available via PTF in the
 December 1996 time frame.