ADSM-L

Novell NetWare question

1996-10-17 17:54:56
Subject: Novell NetWare question
From: Frank Ramke <ramke AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 1996 14:54:56 PDT
>I am posting this for one of our NetWare administrators.  I am hoping
>that someone on this list who has some NetWare experience might have som
>good suggestions for him (my NetWare expertise is next to nil).
>Thanks in advance.
>..Paul
>--
> I have a netware 4.1 server using ADSM for backups of the file system ad
>NDS.  My current USERS: volume is full, so I installed another hard disk
>(and additional memory) in the server.  I would like to MOVE the USERS:
>volume to the new disk, and make it larger without losing the trustee
>assignments.  I would prefer to avoid adding a segment from the new disk to
>the existing volume.  If a volume spans disks, then the entire volume is
>lost if one disk crashes.

>As a last resort I know it is possible to delete the USERS: volume, recreate
>a new and larger USERS: volume on the new drive then restoring the NDS and
>file system info via ADSM.  I am hoping there is a less drastic method.

>I have been able to duplicate the USERS: volume file system on to a new
>volume, but not the NDS rights.  I've tried using NCOPY, WIN95 drag 'n drop,
>and ADSM's restore all with similar results.

>I have tried renaming volumes via the Install utility, and found that the
>NDS rights are automatically updated with the new volume name.  So, if there
>is a way to copy (or restore) the NDS information associated with the file
>system from one volume to another, I could then safely delete the current
>USERS volume and then rename the new volume to USERS: and be done.

>The ADSM manual indicates there is a "-VOLinformation" switch that can
>restore the trustee directory assignments for the ROOT directory of a
>volume.  But, when I tried "load dsmc res users:/shared/cso/*
>testvol1:/shared/cso/ -vol -su=yes" the files were restored without the
>rights assignments.

>Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Paul,
I believe this is a problem with the information in NDS not being
synched up with the File and Directory Entry tables. The restore
more than likely put the  information into the tables, but the
problem lies with NDS not knowing the volumes were changed.
I suggest having your admin continue testing, but first try restoring
the old volume defined in NDS to the new volume then issue the
same ADSM restore as done previously. I seem to remember that
NDS information has to be restored before the files themselves.
I know this is true with the old bindery.

Good luck,
Frank Ramke