ADSM-L

NOTE 10/16/96 11:46:00

1996-10-16 14:22:54
Subject: NOTE 10/16/96 11:46:00
From: Don Moxley <moxley AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 11:22:54 PDT
>to go offsite at noon.  My question is, I may have to start using
>a backup of the volume history (and those other 2) files at 5 am.
>And the queries would be from 5 am also.  I'm wondering, in the
>event of a disaster, what would be the impact of the volume history
>and queries being older by 5 hours.  Would I be able to look at the

DSMSERV RESTORE DB uses the volume history to figure out what DB Backup
volumes to use to restore the database. In your proposed scenario,
the volume history taken offsite will not contain the volumes used by the
latest db backup. It is possible to manually tell RESTORE DB what
volumes to use... but in a disaster recovery situation I wouldn't
recommend this additional complication for the recovery team.
BTW, the DRM feature is now available for ADSM on MVS. It collects all
the required information automatically... and perhaps more importantly
makes the recovery team's job easier by providing a detailed and
executable recovery plan. It will even tell you what tapes to take
offsite or bring back onsite.

Don Moxley ADSM Development.